Fortunately, we can help you out with any and all of your chimney-related concerns. Not only is our team qualified to address any damages – we can also ensure these problems don’t recur down the line.
Learn more below, then call on Firesafe Chimney Services for help with it all. We look forward to speaking with you soon!
What Damage Does Water Cause?
So, when it comes to your chimney and fireplace, what issues can excess water and moisture invite? Well, one area that is greatly affected is your masonry. Bricks are surprisingly absorbent, and if left unprotected, water will seep in and break them down. Before you know it, your bricks and mortar will be cracked, crumbling, and weakened significantly.
Along with this, bricks that absorb water will experience the freeze/thaw process when temperatures drop again. When the water in your bricks freezes and expands, it puts a lot of pressure on your structure. It also leaves even bigger gaps for more water to enter once everything melts. And this usually occurs multiple times a season, which wears your system down a lot.
Water also causes damage to your metal components, inviting rust and decay. And if these parts aren’t able to do their job, your entire system will suffer!
These are just a few of the many problems you could experience. Other issues include mold growth, staining on your walls and ceiling, clogs in your flue, deterioration, and more. In the end, it’s going to be well worth your while to invest in professional upkeep now to avoid those big, costly issues down the line.
Signs of Damage & How to Address It
So, what can you look for as a homeowner to ensure damages are spotted and addressed promptly? Here’s some of the main things you should be keeping an eye on:
- Crumbling Brickwork: Like we’ve mentioned, any damage throughout your brickwork or masonry is a sign of trouble. If you start to notice flaws or imperfections, we can restore your structure with tuckpointing, brick replacement services, and more. After that’s done, we strongly urge all of our customers to invest in waterproofing. Our waterproofing products keep your brickwork protected from moisture, while still allowing your system the ability to vent necessary fumes and vapors. It’s the best way to ensure your chimney stands tall and strong for years to come!
- Rusted Metal Components: Have you spotted any rust throughout your flashing or chimney cap? This is a clear sign of water damage, and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. We can repair flashing with Flash Seal or replace any of your chimney components, as needed. Your cap is essential for blocking out water, so this is one area you don’t want to see compromised!
- Crown Damage: Keep an eye on your chimney crown to ensure there are no cracks or other damages throughout it. Some chimney crowns were made from materials that can’t withstand excessive wear and tear, and if this is the case for you, some repairs or a rebuild may be in order. Crown Seal is a product we can use to restore your system or if a whole new crown needs to be built, we can handle that, too.
- Clogs in Your Flue: Clogs are often associated with excess moisture in your flue, in which case a sweeping will be in order. We can clear out any debris and excess creosote, then do a thorough inspection to see where the leaks are coming in.
- Mold Growth: Noticing mold accumulating throughout your chimney or in your home near the fireplace? There is likely water coming in somewhere causing this notoriously harmful (and hard-to-remove) substance to grow and spread. Ensure your household stays safer and healthier by getting it out of there. Then, call us in to make certain your chimney is protected.
- Stains: If there are stains on the walls, ceilings, or throughout your fireplace itself, then it’s time to call in a professional to look things over. Not only is this unsightly, but it’s bad for your structure, and you can bet you’ll soon have rotting woodwork and other issues as well.
- Bad Odors: When creosote and water mix, it often creates unpleasant odors that linger in your home. You might especially notice this now that the weather is warming up and your A/C is running. If you’re worried bad chimney smells have to do with a leak somewhere, we can perform a sweeping, then find the issue, no problem.
Don’t Wait – Give Us a Call Now!
Our customers continue to turn to us time and time again because we’re known for providing reliable, high-quality services. We have certifications with the CSIA and the NFI, and we value staying educated and up to date on it all. When you work with us, you’ll be taken care of no matter what!
If you want a team that’s going to put you first, we’re it. Call today at 413-436-7946 to schedule your appointment.