Smoke is the natural byproduct of the combustion process due to the water content of the wood you are burning. When you cut a tree to use for firewood, it’s important to let it cure for at least six months. If you buy wood, it’s even more difficult to know how long the wood has really been cured. But even if you’ve cured it properly, there will still be some moisture left in them.

The smoke that comes from your fires is the remaining water vapor mixed with a variety of chemicals such as benzene, formaldehyde, and carbon monoxide, just to name a few. These are things you don’t want to be breath in, which is one reason is so important to make sure that your chimney is working properly. It’s not just wood smoke that can give off chemicals. If you have a pellet burning stove or a gas burning appliance, these can also give off carbon monoxide as well. At Firesafe Chimney Services, we want to help you understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it.

Why Carbon Monoxide is Dangerous

a lovely home with blue skyAlthough smoke contains many chemicals, carbon monoxide is the most dangerous one. It is colorless and odorless, and it is poisonous when breathed in for too long. Early symptoms include nausea, dizziness, headaches, or vomiting, but if left undetected for too long, a person can pass out and eventually die. This is why it is so important to have working carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home.

Carbon Monoxide Prevention

There are several things that you can do to make sure that the carbon monoxide level in your home doesn’t get out of control. An important service that you should perform annually is to have a chimney inspection and cleaning by the CSIA certified professionals. At Firesafe Chimney Service, we offer these services to protect your home and family.

The purpose of this is twofold. One reason is so that you can make sure that your chimney is in good condition and the smoke is venting properly to the outdoors. The other reason is so that you can ensure all creosote buildup is out of your system. This buildup occurs over the course of burning many fires in your fireplace. Another way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to make sure that your heating system has proper ventilation. This includes making sure that the chimney liner is properly sized to make smoke removal more efficient and complete.

Keep it Safe

In order to ensure that your chimney is working properly and your family is safe every time you use your fireplace or other heating appliance, give Firesafe Chimney Service a call or schedule online to let us do an inspection and cleaning. We’ll recommend any repairs necessary to make sure your family is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.